thoughts on LWN "how many Fedora users are there"

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 14:56:12 UTC 2006

> > There are 2 advantages.  First, you can control what machines
> > act as mirrors and thus not have to arrange anything with
> > other parties to get access to the logs.
>
> How would a separate repository solve the problem? The repo information
> would still be distributed and we still need to coordinate with the
> mirrors to get more information.

It should not take many machines to robustly distribute a single
file. Keep all mirrors on machines you already control.

>   Second, it gives
> > the individual user a way to opt out by removing that
> > repository from their list.
>
> If we collect the update stats from the mirrors transparently and use
> other specific procedures as a opt in mechanism, we already have this
> settled.

How can I keep my information from being collected in logs on
repositories where I actually need the files?  You may claim
you have a way that will keep you from using them, but how
can you prove that to me?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com