Gluing two mp3 files

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Oct 14 22:10:14 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 14/10/06, Steven P. Ulrick <lists-fedora at afolkey2.net> wrote:
>> Hello, Paul
>> I just tried something that I thought might work, and I was rather
>> amused that it actually worked perfectly:
>>
>> cat filename1.mp3 filename2.mp3 > filename3.mp3
>>
>> You could also do something like this:
>> cat *.mp3 > filename.mp3
>>
>> Hope that helps :)
>> Steven P. Ulrick
>
> I was just about to suggest this. It works because there is no header
> to mp3 files. mp3 was designed for streaming.
>
> Dotan Cohen

There are some "headers" in mp3 files. But because of the way the
files are encoded, the player know how to handle the headers. An mp3
file is broken up into frames that each have their own header
information that gives playback information for the frame. There is
a file header that has things like the title, artist, etc for the
file...

Mikkel