fedora 6 install breaks at network configuration

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Oct 16 01:50:02 UTC 2006

philn wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm a Red Hat (Fedora) noob after years of fighting with Debian. After
> recently spending a couple of days trying to get the latest Debian
> (Etch) to install I discover that it will not drive my dual head setup
> (which windoze does without trouble). So I thought I'd give Fedora a
> try.

The support for dual head in Fedora is pretty much not working. I have
not had much luck with configuring dual head via the system tools.
People have posted where they have dual head working. Maybe someone with
successfully setup dual head will fill you in with what is needed. I
know at least the types of video cards you are trying to configure will
be needed.

  Now I can't even get through an install - either a 6 DVD or a 5
> network install. Whatever I do when trying to install 6, as soon as I
> press the OK after trying to configure the network I get an immediate
> failure with an option to save or reboot.
>
> Maybe I'm doing something wrong: I turn off dhcp and enable ipv4. Then I
> enter my box's ip address in the first section of the ipv4 line -
> 192.168.0.10 - and, after looking all over the Internet to find out what
> the 'prefix' was, I enter 24. Press OK and crash. Try just leaving dhcp
> on thinking maybe it'll just ignore it and I can change it later, press
> OK and nothing.

In the text install, I found that I had to check the ipv4 box but not
add any address information. Are you using the text installer? If not, I
cannot recall if I had to do anything special in the GUI installer. If I
did, I just checked ipv4 without actually adding an ip address.

> With the 5 net install it gets to the dialog "Install Starting This may
> take several minutes" and just sits there doing nothing (I waited over a
> half an hour for that one). Then of course it messed up my mbr and I had
> to fix it before I could boot back into my dual head windoze setup to
> type this.

The actual FC6 release should be out early next week, unless suddenly
delayed. You might want to try installing with the FC6 release media.

> If this has been covered before I would appreciate a link or something
> as I can't find anything similar on google.

Dual head was not covered in great detail on this list, to my
recollection. For the FC6 test release problems, the archives for the
fedora-test-list cover a lot of problems users had encountered with
installing FC6 test.

Regarding a good search tool for finding fedora related issues, others
might give good references. I use google or try to recall issues that
concern me as they flash by on the list.

Welcome to Fedora. I hope your desired resolutions can be found with the
distribution change. I imagine the problems are similar from
distribution to distribution. Fedora is supposed to be tracking upstream
as much as possible.

Jim

--
This is the LAST time I take travel suggestions from Ray Bradbury!