Firefox - How to play wmv files?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Oct 16 06:07:59 UTC 2006

On Mon October 16 2006 1:28 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> where's that bloody
> record icon - I've looked in all three screens, the Firefox
> window I started from, the pop video screen that appears when
> you click a video link, and the mplayer window that appears
> when you click on the arrow - even checked the desktop screen -
> but no bloody icon - tell me where it is you scalawag, or I'll
> blow you off your top-sail!

OK - I reply to myself, but present an anomaly. I read the FAQ on
the extension, and discovered that I had already turned on that
feature, and it was staring me in the face in the form of a
little label/icon that appears in the lower left hand corner of
the video part of the window that pops up when I select a video
link from CNN, for example. And, I discover that I have to
right-click on that label and select "Save link" - so far so
good. So, I get the *.asx file from CNN's site on my filesystem
and I navigate to it with Konqueror and right-click it and ask it
to open it with Mplayer - Mplayer opens up and nothing happens.
So, I'm playing around, and I decide to see if I can look at the
*.asx file, so I right click on it again in the Konqueror window,
and select "Open in new tab" - there's a big stall, and nothing
seems to be happenning, kind of like what you get when you've
asked it to open an executable, but, no warning message about do
I really want to run this executable. I'm about to give up and
suddenly I hear the audio start up. The label for the new tab has
changed from a nondescript icon image to text  showing the name
of the video clip so I click on the tab, and lo and behold, the
video is playing in my Konqueror window! I've never had a Windows
Media file play in Konqueror!
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA