/boot partition mislabeled on last reinstall - need advice on how to fix

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 21:02:14 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> On Mon October 16 2006 2:58 am, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > Reboot with rescue disk or Knoppix, relable the desired
> > partitions for example with tune2fs, and modify your /etc/fstab
> > before rebooting into your old system. Is this what you meant?
>
> I tend to complicate the simple.
> Two questions that I can't answer satisfactorily:
> 1) Presumably, I would have to copy the current contents of /boot
> which is mounted at sda3 to sda1 /boot1 at some point? If so, I
> suppose this is no big deal except, what's the sequence? Copy
> first, then relabel? (Pardon me if the answer is painfully
> obvious - There's still some unresolved confusion on my mind on
> the relationship between labels, file systems, and mount points)
>
> 2) I know that first was really about three questions, but,
> anyhow, what about Grub? When I reboot, are things going to just
> work? Don't I have to get some info into whatever is written into
> the MBR that grub.conf is now located at sda1/boot and not
> sda3/boot?
> --
> Claude Jones
> Brunswick, MD, USA
>
> --

Hi Claude Jones!

It would be interesting to examine the MBRs of sda and sdb and sdc!
Perhaps bios can be pointed to sda?  Why does it boot sdc?

To examine the MBR:

# dd if=/dev/sda of=/yourdirectory/mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

# hexdumb -C mbr.bin

Good info on the master boot record and GRUB google "thestarman GRUB".
 Interesting articles.

In general leaving things as they are if they work is advised.  If you
really want to play that game come to understand "Google MBR partition
table", and know well how the MBR points to stage ("1.5")2.

Have fun!

Tod