Grub boot problem ofter FC4 -> FC5 upgrade

Marnix Fedora at Harssema.com
Fri Oct 20 06:34:40 UTC 2006

On 10/18/06, Marnix <Fedora at harssema.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After an unsuccesfull FC4 -> FC5 upgrade I find myself in the
> following situation:
>
> My server has two IDE disks hda and hdc. When it boots I see "GRUB"
> alone on the screen and then it stops. I think that means that grub is
> not able to find stage1_5 or stage2 loader. Grub used to be installed
> (FC4) on a seperate /boot partition which was a metadevice md3
> mirrored on two devices: hda1 and hdc1. When I boot from rescue CD and
> I and try to reïnstall grub on hda I get an error message:
>
> # grub --no-floppy
> grub> find /grub/stage1
>  (hd0,0)
>  (hd1,0)
>
> grub> root (hd0,0)
>  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0xfd
>
> grub> setup (hd0)
>  Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
>  Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
>  Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
>  Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5"" exists... yes
>  Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 15 sectors are embedded. succeeded
>  Runing "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2
> /grub/grub.conf"... failed
>
> Error 22: No such partition

Thanks to Tony's tip I have got the system up again.

Appearently the manual installation of grub as described above does
not work, while the 'dumb' installation using "grub-install
--no-floppy /dev/hda" works. I will have to look into grub-install to
see what it does exactly and what the difference is with what I was
doing manually.

Thanks you all for your answers!

Cheers,
Marnix