fstab and LABEL=

Globe Trotter itsme_410 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 21 17:48:43 UTC 2006

--- Jay Cliburn <jacliburn at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Tim wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 16:41 +0100, James Wilkinson wrote:
> >> Please note that /dev/hdx device names are going away in the future --
> >> even parallel ATA disks (IDE) will be called /dev/sdx. When this
> >> happens, references to /dev/hdx in grub config files or /etc/fstab
> >> will break.
> >
> > This seems to be a MONUMENTALLY STUPID thing to do.  [snip]
>
> You should direct your complaint to the kernel developers.  That's where this
>
> change comes from.
>
> Jay

And how about the no automatic editing feature in FC5 (started from the middle
of FC4 onwards)? Where does one direct complaints on this? It is unclear to me
and several others why this feature was removed?

The release notes for FC4+ say: use gnome-mount. Which comes with no
documentation, and what if users like me decide not to use gnome or KDE? Should
they be expected to give up on Fedora?

Thanks,
Trotter