Can't boot kernel-2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

Mel mel at laamail.com
Mon Oct 23 07:50:13 UTC 2006

Goksin Akdeniz wrote:
>> In VAR the boot.log file is empty (0 bytes).
>> DMesg has no info about the failure
>> Messages also has no info about the failure.
>>

>> What happens is that I get the boot menu and select the kernel I want.
>> This part is ok.
>>
>> Then I get some text that is to fast for me to read.
>>
>> What I can read says something about a panic - APCI- - an unsafe unwind
>> and mentions something called DWARF2.
>>
> Ok then here is a suggestion:
>
> Boot your system. Select the 2.6.18-xxx kernel and press e to edit boot
> options. Move to the end of the line with right & left arrow keys. Type
> acpi=off et tne end of the line. Press enter and then b
>
> So your new kernel will boot with ACPI disabled. If it is really a power issu
> this will reveal it.
>
> And how to get the boot.log file?
>
> It is easy. When you log in to tthe system run terminal/konsole. type su or su
> root and become root.
>
> when it is done type gedit. Now you van browse and edit files. Ypu can read
> the content od boot.msg and boot.log in /var/log.
>
> I hope it works.
>
> Goksin Akdeniz
> --------
> www.enixma.org

I understand what you are telling me - almost.

I am using grub.

I get more than one line. Which one gets the acpi=off?

Would editing grub.conf and adding acpi=off at the end of the kernel
line do the same thing?

I will try then one by one while I am waiting to hear from you.

I can get to /var/log. There is no boot.msg file. There are several
versions of boot.log -- all of them are 0 bytes in length -- they are empty.

I have looked at the DMesg, messages (more than one version, and the
boot files. I see no data about the failures.

Is there a way to turn on recording into the boot,log file?