Tips for migrating to Fedora w/ LVM & Software RAID

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Oct 23 14:55:26 UTC 2006

Mike Wohlgemuth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently have a Gentoo server with the following disk layout:
>
> I have 3 identical hardisks doing software RAID.
>
> /boot is on md0, which is RAID1 spread across sda1, sdb1, and sdc1
> swap is on md1, which is RAID5 spread across sda2, sdb2, and sdc2
> / is on md2, which is RAID5 spread across sda3, sdb3, and sdc3
> LVM vg0 is on md3, which is RAID5 spread across sda4, sdb4, and sdc4
>
> vg0 has volumes for /usr, /var, /opt, /tmp, and /home
>
> I have installed grub on the MBRs of all 3 disks, so if 1 fails I should
> be able to boot off of one of the remaining drives.
>
> I would like to migrate this setup to Fedora FC5.  Is there a HOWTO
> somewhere that would cover this?  Will I be able to just boot off the
> install CD and reformat /boot and / and point to the LVM volumes and have
> things work?  Any gotchas I need to look out for?
>
> Thanks
> Mike

With FC5, boot off the install CD (or DVD), select custom partitioning
and you should be good to go.  I have successfully installed FC-5 on LVM
over software raid on two different system--boot partitions being on
standard x83 partitions on /dev/hda.

FC-6 is another matter altogether as it appears there are serious
problems with software raid, or sata_promise, or multipath or something
as I am having problems installing on both systems.  Software raid
arrays are not being seen (some are, some aren't) and on one system, my
SATA disks are being ignored!

--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)