Hanging GUI

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Oct 23 16:09:01 UTC 2006

Okay everyone, I have a really odd problem.  I have a FC box that's
simply not bringing up a full login GUI.  It's defaulted to GNOME, but
for some reason that I can't find it's just showing a blue screen with a
rotating hourglass.

Now, the system itself has had a working GUI for quite a while until
this last reboot.  I'm not totally upset over the lack of GUI since it's
a server, but is there a way to restart GUI?  I can't find xdm or gdm to
restart, so I'm lost on this.

Or, even better, is there a way to force this box to boot to runlevel 3
instead of 5?  I've never done that before, so I'm not sure the easiest
way to do it in FC.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney