digital camera Q

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Oct 25 00:47:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 22:08 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 October 2006 20:59, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >I know that " means inch, but I have no idea what an inch is...
> >
> > Nominally its 2.5cm, Dotan.  Our 'yard' of 36 inches is near your 'meter'
> > which is 39.xx inches to us.  Yeah I bitch everytime I have to do
> > something in inches that makes a hell of a lot more sense to do in metric,
> > but 200 million old fogies like me yelled when they tried to start selling
> > gasolene by the litre.  I was for it myself.  And I still consider the US
> > as the odd man out in the measurement wars, fallout of my eletronics
> > experience I guess, we don't measure anything but wavelength in feet and
> > that takes tricky math.
> >
> Like Gene, my husband and I have a work background in metric, but most of our
> lives we have lived with Imperial.  In England today officially we use
> metric, although 90%+ of the population have no understanding of it.  We do
> sell petrol and diesel in litres, but beer and milk in pints.  We still use
> gallons, but they are different from US gallons.  Until very recently you had
> no chance of buying a sheet of plywood in metric - 8ft x 4 ft or 6 ft x ft
> was what you got.  Metric is slowly creeping in, though.

It has been a long time since I looked that those conversions, but IIRC
an imperial gallon is about 4 litres.

> We have recently taken to keeping koi, and it seems that in the koi world
> ponds are always measured in gallons.  We both find this extremely difficult
> to handle, after working in litres for so long, but if we quote the pond
> capacity in litres no-one understands what we are talking about.

A US gallon is slightly less than an imperial gallon, or about 3.84
litres.  I can easily understand the confusion, what with Imperial
Gallons, US Gallons, Litres, etc.,  But in relation to something as
inexact as the size of a koi pond you could just use the factor of 4 to
do the conversions between litres and gallons and it would be close
enough for 99.9% of people. (10 US gallons would actually be
approximately 38.4 litres vs. 40 litres for 10 Imperial gallons, but
that can be considered a tiny difference in an inexact world.)

> IOW, we are a very mixed up country ;-)

The US is just as mixed up as we attempt to convert from SAE
measurements to metric.  Miles vs Kilometers, Litres vs Quarts,
Millimeters vs Inches, are just a few of the things we are struggling
with.  We do not have the Imperial measurements in the mix, but we do
have way too much stuff here.