FC6 clean install - yum missing keys?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus200610 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Wed Oct 25 03:48:03 UTC 2006

I just did a FC6/x86_64 clean install.  I then tried "yum update" as
root and it also wanted to load new keys.

    # yum update
    Total download size: 20 M
    Is this ok [y/N]: y
    Downloading Packages:
    warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2
    Importing GPG key 0x4F2A6FD2 "Fedora Project <fedora at redhat.com>"
    Is this ok [y/N]: n

Needless to say this rang warning bells.  Why would a fresh install
need to install some previously unknown keys?  If they keys are legit,
shouldn't they have been loaded at the factory (so to speak)???

The worst aspect of this is that it trains users to blindly press "y"
when presented with questions that have strong security implications.
How is the average user supposed to even know if that request is legit
or not?

-wolfgang