mdadm and new FC6 install

Frank Pineau frank at pineaus.com
Wed Oct 25 22:47:03 UTC 2006

So, I'm getting ready to do my upgrade from FC5 to FC6 as a clean
install.  I built a RAID5 array way-back-when using mdadm to house data.
The OS is installed on a separate drive.

Here's the thing.  I only vaguely remember what I did to build the
array.  I *think* the array info is stored on the array itself and not
in the OS.  If I blow away the OS drive to do the FC6 install, will it
see (and activate) the array without losing the data on it?  Note again
that the RAID array is on a separate set of disks from the OS.

I'll obviously have backups anyway, but I'd prefer to not have to
rebuild my array and restore all the data.  That was kinda the whole
point of separating the data and OS drives.