OT: Looking for wood-grain patterns

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 26 04:48:28 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 18:51 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>Yes, those are unfortunately too small. Many universities
>>have wood grain photos, but they are for purposes of identifying
>>wood sample, or trees, not suitable for making a pseudo-plank
>>8 inches wide and 16 inches long. Simply making a sort of
>>collage of small patches like this does not result in realistic
>>looking cabinets, even from 6 feet.
>
> Mike, you could just follow your better-half to the arts and crafts
> place where you'll find some contact papers of all kinds of wood
> patterns. This might sound simplistic, but I've seen some that weren't
> cheap and looked great. Ric

Thanks for your kind reply. I appreciate it.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. The object is not to make the
set look good, the object is to make it look original. So, plasticated
contact paper is not the goal. The object is restoration to "like
new" state. So, the use of like original materials, in like original
tones is important to those who do this.

Thanks again for your reply.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.