FC 5 > FC6 via YUM update - try method hard drive

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 26 13:18:25 UTC 2006

Joe Klemmer wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>
>>> I thought that you need some kind of bootdisk to run anaconda.  Can
>>> you run an anaconda upgrade from a running FC5 system?  Also, since
>>> doing an upgrade via yum or net both go over the 'Net, is there a
>>> significant difference between them?
>> You do need some kind of bootable mechanism to run the anaconda
>> installer, however it doesn't have to be a CD.  USB key, PXEboot, etc
>>  all work fine.  The difference is that using anaconda is a
>> 'supported' method for upgrading whereas yum is not.
>
> 	Hmmm...  I'll have to see if this laptop will boot via usb or
> something.  There's no floppy in it and I don't have anything to boot
> from via PEXboot.
If you have the DVD iso downloaded:
1. put it at the top  level any drive except the / drive. {may only be
required if you intend to format the / drive}
2. mkdir empty-folder
3. mount -o loop the-dvd.iso empty-folder
4. cp empty-folder/images/pxeboot/ vmlinuz and initrd.img to your
existing /boot folder.
5. gedit /boot/grub/grub.boot
6. copy a boot stanza, but change the kernel and initrd lines to have
the version-less vm.. and in..
7. reboot and press a key to get boot selection.
8. choose the new selection:
9. select Hard disk and choose the partition and folder where the iso is.
10. tell it you want to upgrade.

Whoolah - booting the installer from your own machine. This is
definitely operational with an FC5 to FC6 upgrade on my machine.

DaveT.