Ellison's Elision

John Wendel john.wendel at metnet.navy.mil
Thu Oct 26 16:15:24 UTC 2006

James Dickson wrote:
> Just wait until Oracle has to give back ...What ever great patches they
> write/port/innovate ultimately has to go back to the community...So
> RedHat/Community gets the fruits of Larry's "labor". Larry isn't going
> to like doing that for long.
>
> So it boils down to will they be good neighbors in the community???
>
> Well, if their behavior is anything like that in the "proprietary"
> world. We know what kind of street cred they have.

Actually, Oracle is "giving back". They've open sourced a cluster
filesystem that is currently in the process of rolling into the
standard kernel (it may already be in, haven't checked in a while).
Oracle has a bunch of smart employees who will do the right thing
whether Larry likes it or not.

Regards,

John