ata failed messages - kernel 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Oct 26 23:11:20 UTC 2006

Deron Meranda wrote:
> On 10/17/06, Kam Leo <kam.leo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/17/06, Alan J. Gagne <alan.gagne at comcast.net> wrote:
>> > Receiving failure messages during boot for ata1 and ata2.
>> > Machine boots and seems to be running ok.
>> >
>> > ata1: port is slow to respond, please be patient
>> > ata1: port failed to respond (30 secs)
>
> I too am seeing the exact same thing.  I had just installed the new
> 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5smp kernel in preparation to get my FC5 box
> completely up to date before upgrading to FC6.  I had previously
> been running with 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5smp and had not seen
> this error.  This error on reboot appears to only happen with this
> new 2200 kernel, and it happens even with full power down and
> power up, and is repeatable.
>
> Despite having to wait 30 seconds or so for these errors to time
> out, the system fully boots with all devices appearing to be fully
> operational.
>
> My system is a Dell Optiplex Gx270.
> IDE0 has one drive,
>   hda: Maxtor 6Y080L0
> IDE1 has two drives
>   hdc: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B
>   hdd: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S

I saw this error on a system after installing FC6 on a Dell Optiplex
gx280, the BIOS rev is A08. It has an IDE hard drive and a DVD burner. I
am not at it right now and it is used for XP. The install was just to
see if it would take. I saw the same error you mention and things seemed
to be working properly, though I was not in the installation that long.

I have another system, a Dell Optiplex gx270 with two SATA drives and no
IDE drives. It also has a CDROM reader and a DVD+R recorder. I did not
see this error on the machine. I was running the 2.6.18-1.2200.fc5smp
kernel. The error must be related to the dell controller and IDE drives
on my guess.

Jim

--
	"How many people work here?"