A humble suggestion for Fedora

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 27 14:56:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:37 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I suspect that a large majority of Fedora users never look at the
> wiki, so this would give a very skewed response.

On the rare occasions that I've looked, I've found them next to useless.
More than half of the links on the wikis seem to be about how to use the
wiki, with very little information on what the wiki is supposed to be
about.  It sounds like a classic case of committee administration -
loads of paper work, but no actual work.

> What exactly is wrong with asking, or getting, feedback?
> The aim of Fedora is to serve the user, isn't it,
> not the developer?

On the face of it, I don't have a problem with the post-install having
something that allowed for a response, so long as it's done sensibly.

At that stage, the internet may not be accessible, so e-mailing some
response mightn't be viable.  Likewise for HTTP, or other protocols.

And I know I've been extremely annoyed by pop-ups after an installation
on Window that nag me about registering.  It'd have to be some easily,
and completely ignorable, further action by the user to submit
information.  e.g. That default homepage in your web browser, that has
the Red Hat / Fedora release notes could have a link to a survey webpage
near the top.

I read messages from the public lists.