FC5 and compiz

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 22:12:18 UTC 2006

On 10/27/06, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 12:26 -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
>
> > > shoehorn and curses. I have to live with this machine and I'd hate to be
> > > deprived of my one addiction. (OK, make it second addiction) I want the
> > > result of this major upgrade to be forever yum upgradable and "approved"
> > > meaning I can get some form of relief should it blowup anyway.
> > > And! ...shown how to do eet stepper by stepper, just like a harddrive
> > > thinks. Thanks for all the work over there at nVidia Lonnie!!! But,
> > > James made some very basic assumptions that this user would be where he
> > > is, technologically speaking, and that ain't the case. Ric
> >
> > What isn't the case?
> XOrg 7.1 or later
> Well, it says make sure you have the latest X0rg. Like the cockroach man
> from "The Men In Black" crashing around going "Where is it!? Where - is
> - it?!" rpm -q xorg or Xorg or XOrg jeesus. I fergit! Nice docs would
> say -check using rpm -q Xorg-blahblah  nice step by step for the
> braindead or Good Ole Mum. I'd like to have this pain over in 10 minutes
> or less.

The nvnews instructions are intentionally not distro specific.  The
first 5 lines of /var/log/Xorg.0.log will show you the version you're
using.  The short answer is that you need FC6 for Xorg-7.1.x.

> NVIDIA graphics drivers >= 1.0-9625
> >From where?? link to driver that is yum supported or link to one that is
> not. check this, check that. Use this one at your own risk, that kinda
> thing. I beleive and trust in you and nVidea explicitly. It seems the
> Fedora / RH stance is to trust only livna-brand rpms. What the fizeck do
> I or the average user know? I've never figured that one out, as you love
> what you do and it's not about the Ka-ching!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-9626.html

---
I speak for myself, not my employer.