No sound on FC6 - well, sort of

Robert F. Chapman robert_chapman at maximhq.com
Sat Oct 28 00:01:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 07:27 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> Steven Stern wrote:
> > One step forward, one back.  Madwifi is working, but my sound card isn't.
> >
> > In system-config-soundcard, I get playback if I choose the second
> > CA0106. I click APPLY and OK.  If I restart system-config-soundcard,
> > it's back to the unset state and there's no sound.
> >
> > I have XMMS working by setting the ALSA output to HW:0,1 and Analog Front.
> >
> > I can't seem to get anything to work through the default sound settings
> > or ESD.
> >

> After messing with this for a few hours, now I have no sound at all.
> How can I reset things so the system will redetect the sound card and
> create new default settings (short of a fresh install)?  What files have
> to be edited or removed?
>
> --
>
>   Steve

In the first boot configuration script, it has these instructions to
re-run the first boot script.  This will give you all the setup options
that you configured during the first boot after installation.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Also make sure first boot is set to run in runlevel 5

chkconfig --level 5 firstboot on

#!/bin/sh
# firstboot:         Starts the firstboot druid if it hasn't been run
before
#
# chkconfig: 35 95 95
#
first time \
#                    a machine is booted after install.  It checks for
the existence \
#                    of an /etc/sysconfig/firstboot file.  If it doesn't
find the file, \
#                    then the firstboot program needs to run.  If it
finds the file, \
#                    firstboot will not be run.
#                    If /etc/reconfigSys exists, run the reconfiguration
#                    program and remove /etc/reconfigSys when done.
#
#                    Also will run if 'reconfig' is on the kernel
cmdline.
#