FC6 Install Observations and Boot Issue

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Oct 28 02:19:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 11:23 -0500, ethericalzen at gmail.com wrote:
> Here is the /etc/fstab entry for my partition that is not being
> mounted at boot as it was in previous linux installs:
>
> /dev/hda7   /net  ext3  defaults  1 2

Why are you mounting a hard drive partition onto the /net mount point?
The auto-fs daemon (presuming it has the same name in FC6) uses it to
auto-mount network shares.

e.g. If one had a computer called "fred" on your network, and it was
sharing out a directory called "flintstone" using NFS or SMB (at least),
then if you issued "cd /net/fred/flintstone" that share would be
auto-mounted there.

Using /mnt, or a subdirectory within it, is the usual way to add extra
drives to the directory tree.  Or, there's nothing stopping you creating
a new mount point for your drives.  e.g. /sparespace

I read messages from the public lists.