Triple boot Fedora, XP, and Vista

Eric Mader emader at icu-project.org
Tue Oct 31 20:28:35 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 28/10/06, Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I did some googling earlier looking for info on triple booting Fedora,
>> XP and Vista. I found some good info where everything is contained all
>> on one drive, but I have 4 sata drives that I'll be using.
>>
>> I have an 80G for XP, and 80G for Vista, a 160 for Fedora, and a 250
>> for data storage.
>>
>> Has anyone else worked at triple booting in this way?
>>
>> The one guide suggests using the windows bootloader to let you handle
>> xp and vista and grub can get you into fedora. Ideally I'l like to use
>> grub for all three.Should I make my fedora drive sda then in this
>> case?
>>
>> Anyone else done this and have ideas?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> You should install the MS operating systems first, as they do not
> provide provisions for booting non-MS operating systems (well, NT
> did). I wouldimagine (not sure) that Vista can be installed without
> wiping XP. If not, then complain to Microsoft.
>
> After those two are installed, install Fedora. The installation should
> identify both MS operating systems and and them to grub. Even if this
> does not happen, it is an easy fix to add them later.
>
> Dotan Cohen

I've got this working, but only as a two-stage boot process. The Vista
bootloader is new, and grub doesn't play well with it. I have a grub
entry that boots the Vista boot loader. That has entries for XP and
Vista. A bit clunky, but it works.

Every time I install a new version of Vista I have to use the Fedora
rescue CD to reinstall grub.

Regards,
Eric