Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Sep 1 16:54:04 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> Just quoting the salient points:

> Tim:
>
>>> If you want to keep the XP installation as-is, and the Linux completely
>>> separate, I'd consider:
>>>      2. Modifying the XP bootloader menu so that *it* is used to boot
>>>         itself, or Linux.
>>>      3. Copying a file copy of the Linux bootblock onto the XP drive for
>>>         that XP bootloader to work with.
>>>

> Aaron Konstam:
>
>> Thhis used to be the wqay to do it in the RedHat Linux days. But for a
>> long time under Fedora grub does the job without any extra effort.
>>

> Ordinarily, I'd use GRUB to handle booting, too.  But the original
> poster mentioned not having any Windows install discs.  It seems prudent
> to avoid altering the Windows installation in that situation.
> Especially if one isn't familiar with fixing things up, after a problem,
> the hard way.

Prudent or not, the installation is now running with Grub and boot on
the mbr.

If I break something I'll have to fix it somehow?

So far things have gone smoothly, there was physical space for the drive
and I was able to set bios to recognize the new second drive.  Hopefully
the rest will go as uneventfully ...

Bob Goodwin