Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Sep 1 23:29:20 UTC 2006

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 17:13 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Bob Goodwin wrote:

>>> Prudent or not, the installation is now running with Grub and boot on
>>> the mbr.
>>>
>>> If I break something I'll have to fix it somehow?
>>>
>>> So far things have gone smoothly, there was physical space for the drive
>>> and I was able to set bios to recognize the new second drive.  Hopefully
>>> the rest will go as uneventfully ...
>>>
>>> Bob Goodwin
>>>
>> I have installed fc5 from the dvd twice now to be certain I've done
>> things correctly.  I believe I have.
>>
>> The fc5 install is on the second drive, /dev/sdb.  XP is factory [Dell]
>> installed and I have no install disk.  XP is of little importance to me
>> but I would like to retain it is possible.  Both drives are 80G.
>>
>> It should boot Linux from the mbr, /dev/sda on which XP resides,  grub
>> is installed with FC5 designated as the default, but I never see a grub
>> display at turn on, it simply boots XP right off without offering any
>> alternative.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>

> grub should be installed in the MBR of the first SCSI disk (aka
> /dev/sda).  That can be done by getting in to Linux and doing
> "grub-install /dev/sda" as the root user.
>
> We need to know how you laid out the Linux stuff.  Is it all in one
> partition or did you divvy it up?  Assuming you put it in separate
> partitions, with /boot as partition 0 and / as partition 1,
> this /boot/grub/grub.conf should work:
>
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.17-1.2174_FC5)
>         root (hd1,1)
>         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
> quiet max_luns=256
>         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5.img
> title Windows XP
> 	root (hd0,0)
> 	makeactive
> 	chainloader +1
>
> If Linux is all on a single partition, change the references above
> that say "(hd1,1)" to "(hd1,0)"

> - Life:  That which happens while you search for the remote control. -

XP is installed on the original 80G h.d., untouched, still as Dell
set it up.

I installed a second 80G SATA drive and installed FC5 to that with
the DVD, all pretty much as Fedora intended except where I told it to
use the mbr and default to FC5 Linux.

Grub looks pretty much as you specify.:

sh-3.1# cat /boot/grub/grub.conf

#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp)
       root (hd1,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp.img
title Windows XP
       rootnoverify (hd0,1)
       chainloader +1

[I typed this manually but it looks identical to the display
on the Dell display.]

It looks to me like Dell has somehow set aside about 3 gigs of
the 80 apparently to provide a means of reinstalling Windows?
I don't know it that has any effect on this problem?

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin