Trouble Burning Core 5 CDs

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Sep 4 19:28:52 UTC 2006

Bjorgen T. Eatinger wrote:

> I am trying to create the 5 CDs necessary for a new Fedora Core 5
> installation, and can never get a good burn.  The media check always
> fails, during installation.

I must say that I have had increasing problems with Fedora CDs
over distributions 1 to 5,
though I never or very rarely get media check failures.

I don't think it can be the CD writers I use,
as I never seem to have problems with other software I write with them.

I've wondered if it could be a problem with my CD readers -
maybe the heads get dirty over time?

But many people seem to have reported problems installing FC from CDs,
and it made me wonder if the installation could make some allowance,
eg allow one to read a package again, or even pass by
and install the package later?

I just had a terrible problem installing Windows XP on a new SCSI disk
(don't worry, I only gave it 20GB out of 300GB!).
In this case I had two copies of the XP CD (bought from my college),
and when there was a failure I was asked if I wanted to try again.
I swapped the two CDs, and after 10 such changes (at least)
the whole OS was installed.

[I don't know if this Windows actually runs OK.
I only installed it because my ISP sent me a new ADSL modem,
and the installation disk with it only ran under Windows.]

But I've more or less given up installing FC from CDs -
I normally download to the hard disk,
or else install over my local network.

--
Timothy Murphy