How to create /dev/dsp ?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Sep 5 14:43:08 UTC 2006

François Patte wrote:
> Timothy Murphy a écrit :
>> I took a disk out of one computer, and put it in another
>> (more precisely, I took out the Utrabay hard disk from a ThinkPad T20
>> and put it in a ThinkPad T23)
>> and now I am told there is no sound because
>> "Device /dev/dsp does not exist".
>
> You can create all sound devices running the command : MAKEDEV sound
>
> The problem is: do these devices will survive to a reboot.

The real problem is that MAKEDEV is not compatible with udev. With
the exception of the device files that the installer creates so that
the system boots, all entries in /dev should be created by udev.
With the default configuration, when udev starts, it mounts the
device file system on /dev, and populates it with the startup files.
Additional files are created in responce to modules being loaded,
and cold plugged devices found. Additional devices are created when
hardware is hot plugged. Because the dev file system is in memory,
it has to be re-created each time you boot.

> Had you kudzu enabled when you put your drive in your new laptop? If not
> it is not too late to enable it and reboot and see what happens.

You can run "service kudzu start" as root, and not have to reboot.
Just creating /dev/dsp with MAKDEV will NOT magically get sound
working. If you get sound configured correctly, then you will get
/dev/dsp when ether the correct OSS sound module is loaded, or the
OSS emulation module is loaded if you are using ALSA.

Mikkel