FC5 - Eclipse with Sun Java

Mark Eggers mdeggers at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 6 17:28:44 UTC 2006

Are you using the Eclipse rpm or did you download Eclipse directly from
www.eclipse.org.

I just tried Eclipse 3.2 downloaded from www.eclipse.org and it started
just fine.  I have not added all of the modules that I normally run
(just rebuilding the machine after a disk drive failure), but I don't
anticipate any problems.

Redhat sometimes makes changes to the packages in order to get them to
run will in their environment.  I've noticed this in Firefox, some IP
telephony applications, and in the past the KDE development environment.

You might try installing the tar ball from www.eclipse.org, and then
using an explicit path to launch that version.  If you have a workspace
set up already, back it up first and start the downloaded Eclipse
without a workspace.

I don't know if the downloaded Eclipse will run against the GNU Java.

Hope this helps . . . .

/mde/
just my two cents