BLOODY NUT (+)

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 8 04:48:57 UTC 2006

From: "Ric Moore" <wayward4now at gmail.com>

> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 17:41 -0700, jdow wrote:
>>
>> There may be some problems if there is a USB based UPS involved. Check
>> with the apcupsd mailing list archives for more information. One thing
>> I noticed here in one install recently was that the USB bus terminated
>> before the "apcupsd --killpower" command got executed. Of course, This
>> Will Never Do.
>
> Just how does that work? How does the computer know it's attached to a
> UPS? I have an older motorcycle-sized battery backup UPS and there is
> just 3 plugs for UPS and 3 for filtered supply voltage. There are two
> filtered phone jacks, as well. Can this be monitored?? It's a Tripp
> Lite. Ric

If you are communicating via USB to the USB equipped UPS then, trust me
on this one, your machine KNOWS it is communicating via USB. If you are
using a USB serial dongle to talk to that UPS then your machine does
NOT know. So you may have to go through the ordering on shutdown and
try to create a useful race condition on exit. (Some UPSs thoughtfully
provide a timeout before they power off after receiving the power
off command, if they even pay attention to such a command.)

Of course, some computers (Dell's apparently) are now hard wired so that
on power up from a power loss they restore to the condition they were
in before the power went away. If you want automatic restart on power
restore.... This becomes a REAL RTFMM situation. (Multiple Manuals)
Then you get to figure out how to implement what you want. It has been
known to make grown men cry.

{^_^}