BASH question

Khoa Ton khoa at puresynergy.com
Fri Sep 8 08:27:24 UTC 2006

Cameron Simpson wrote:
> | >I hate to tell you this, but dc does fixed point arithmetic, not
> | >floating point.
> | Thank you for the correction, Cameron.  I will use bc instead
> | of dc for floating point calculations from now on!
>
> 1: What's wrong with fixed point? For your purposes, I mean?
> 2: bc certainly used to be a wrapper for dc, so it was fixed point too!
>
> Cheers,

Oh, what I meant was "If I ever needed floating point, I will use bc
instead of dc".  I wasn't actual in need of any point calculations just
now.

I didn't realize that bc was ever a wrapper for dc.  Thanks for this
information.  If I ever needed proper floating point calculations in the
shell, I'll be extra careful as to the commands to perform them.

Best regards,
Khoa