[FC5] Unable to blank CD-RW

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Sep 9 01:44:02 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 02:11 +0100, Thufir wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 23:37:49 +0200, Antonio Montagnani wrote:
>
> > 2006/9/8, Thufir <hawat.thufir at gmail.com>:
> >> On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 17:26:48 +0200, Antonio Montagnani wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Some useful commands:
> >>
> >> df     diskfree
> >> du     diskusage
> >> mount  to mount
> >> umount to unmount, notice spelling weirdness.
> >>

> >> yes, read the man pages.  yes, you can ask "how do I use the umount
> >> command to unmount the CDRW drive?" but more info is required to answer
> >> that question than, I believe, you've given.  Maybe the info is there,
> >> I didn't look as there's so much, though.
> >>

> >> HTH,
> >>

> >> Thufir
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> > My opinion is different....
> > A standard user must be able to blank a CD-RW without reading the
> > manual, i.e. k3b or nautilus must accomplish the task (that is not my
> > case now) otherwise Windows will rule for many years in front of us!!!
> >
> > Just my two cents

While it may be less than clear that a disk MUST be unmounted to write
to it (except with UDF on RW disks), that is a necessity for both
burning a CDR and formatting a CDRW.  K3b does not do that for you and I
have at times overlooked the fact that disks automount when trying to
copy disks and when formatting the CDRW (even though I have years of
experience and am thus not a newbie)

I agree that it may be useful to have that option in k3b and you can
easily submit a feature request to the authors.