Emulating I. E.6

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun Sep 10 22:30:56 UTC 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Jack Gates wrote:

> On Sunday 10 September 2006 14:39, Carroll Grigsby wrote:

>>> If anyone has Windows and IE handy go check out my site
>>> http://www.jlgates.com I looked at it on my wife's box.  It is
>>> nothing but gibberish except for one line (by design).
>>
>> Jack:
>> While it works as intended in Mozilla, both Konqueror and Opera get
>> gibberish. -- cmg
>
> Still have the font-family set to Wingdings and the site shows up in a
> proper font in Firefox, Konqueror and Opera.  The only browser that
> shows an unreadable page is IE.  If any one goes to the site
> http://www.jlgates.com with any browser other than IE and can't read
> the page let me know what browser.  I am probably going to write the
> pages in proper XHTML and change the font-family back to something
> normal, but that probably won't happen any time soon.

Because you asked: firefox-1.5.0.6-2.fc5 under FC5 with the webcore-fonts
RPM (Microsoft's Web Core Fonts packaged for Fedora from
http://avi.alkalay.net/software/webcore-fonts/webcore-fonts-1.3-1.noarch.rpm).

It probably doesn't matter what the browser is, only whether it has the
Wingdings font accessible to it.  If I uncheck "allow pages to choose
their own fonts" in Preferences -> Content-> Fonts -> advanced) it looks
OK.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences