TV out

redhatdude at bellsouth.net redhatdude at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 14 16:13:51 UTC 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Tod Merley wrote:

> On 9/13/06, redhatdude at bellsouth.net <redhatdude at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have a small TV that I'd like to connecto to my FC5 box to monitor
>> the apache and ftp logs. I plugged it into the s-video connector in
>> the back and all I get is a blue screen on the TV. Would someone tell
>> me how to accomplish this, or point me to a how to on the web?
>> My video card is integrated and shares memory with the computer. It's
>> an ATI 9100.
>> Thanks in advance.
>> EJ
>>
>> --
>>
> Hi Ej,
>
> 1. Download the manual from the ATI site (ok, the 9200 is available -
> probably close enough).
>
> 2. Understand your TVs inputs and your ATI card outputs and which cord
> you need to properly connect the two.  This must be right.
>
> 3. Check to see that your driver (Linux drivers available on the ATI
> site) is compatable with the video output feature you desire using
> your particular X version.  I understand there are some issures with
> the most current drivers (ATI site).
>
> 4. From your Video Card Control Panel (should have installed this when
> installing the driver) see that the "enable video out" is enabled.
>
> Have fun!
>
> Tod
>
> Google is our friend.
>
> --

Solved.
I downloaded the linux drivers from ATI website. The rpm they have
didn't work since it's missing a dependency that yum doesn't install.
So I downloaded the 40 mb installer and ran it.
I did the following in the terminal.
aticonfig --help ( This explains how  to setup your driver for a tv )
aticonfig --initial
aticonfig --enable-monitor=tv --tv-standard-type=VIDEO

and that's it. Start kdm from the console.
Selinux needs to be disabled or a new policy created that allows the
driver to function. Otherwise X doesn't start.

EJ