hostname doesn't stick

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 17 14:30:16 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 15:48 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> You previously used the phrase "should be precisely like this".
> However, "should" implies that it preferred but not mandatory, as in
> "must".  There is no indication in your suggested phrase change that
> negative consequences would or could result upon failure to heed the
> suggestion.
>
> Also, I would question the use of "should" and "precisely" in the same
> sentence.
>
> Even then, I feel it is likely that some people will be convinced and
> take the message literally and conclude the first line "must" read:
>
> 127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain localhost
>
> and that is certainly not the case.

I've seen numerous postings from people purporting that the 127.0.0.1
line *needs* to be that, and to not have any other things in it.
Whether that's really true, I don't know.  I've certainly seen PCs go
doolally when it's not.

And others report no problems with all sorts of tomfoolery in the line,
but then some people "report no problems" with PCs that really are in a
shocking state.

How about:

   The hosts file should contain a line with the following details:
   127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain  localhost

In practicality, the .localdomain thing seems to be a Linux or Red Hat
thing, other systems merely need 127.0.0.1 and localhost.  There seem to
be a few things presuming the localhost.localdomain thing, and some
needing at least one dot in a hostname, so it'd be unwise not to include
it.

What happens when have something like Samba with default settings (i.e.
no specific host details in the config file), responds to a broadcast
query, when the machine's own hostname sits in the 127.0.0.1 line?  Do
we have something trying to use 127.0.0.1 as a LAN address?

I read messages from the public lists.