hostname doesn't stick

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 17 16:08:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 16:35 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> My personal preference is for static IP, and I do have a longish hosts
> file, listing all boxes on the lan.

My approach is for each machine to have its own details in its own hosts
file (so they can run independently without glitches), and to use a
local DNS server for all the local network addresses.  That gives me one
central point for configuration.

I, too, prefer static.  Though I keep one machine dynamically on DHCP
for testing, and visitors can use DHCP to auto-configure to my network.
My DHCP and DNS servers are integrated, dynamic machines are
automatically added and removed from the local DNS.

I find this, overall, the least headache to manage.

I read messages from the public lists.