FC5 + kde - cannot select screensaver - please help

William W. Austin waustin at speakeasy.net
Mon Sep 18 03:35:19 UTC 2006

I have an odd problem.  I upgraded 4 machines (1 server, 3 production)
from FC3 to FC5.  Everything went smoothly, but on 2 of the 4 machines
there is one glitch.

For eactltly ONE user on each of these two machines (and it is not the
same user), it is not possible to select a screensaver in KDE.  Using
either the control center directly or by right-clicking on the
lock-the-screen icon, the expected control module for the screensaver
comes up.  HOWEVER, unlike for any other use on the same machine (or
any user on the other 2 machines for that matter), the various screen
savers are never discovered and offered as choices.  One of the two
machines is a dual-core athlon x64 4200+ while the other is an athlon
2500+ - all 4 machines have 1GB ram, large disks, and nvidia video
subsystems (not the same on any 2), so that is about the extent of the
common elements besides the fresh install.

On one of the machines I first tried re-installing the screensaver rpms
and then finally ALL of the kde (and qt and ...) rpms to no avail.

This situation would not be so odd, but these were all FRESH installs
with no previous user home directories there.

At this point I'm completely stumped.  If anyone has a clue as to where
I should start looking to find the underlying cause, I'd really
appreciate it.

william w. austin                               waustin at speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."