error can''t find libpam.so.0 etc.

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at optonline.net
Tue Sep 19 21:34:25 UTC 2006

Todd Zullinger wrote:

>anthony baldwin wrote:
>

>>Rick Stevens wrote:
>>

>[...]
>

>>>Boot the rescue CD in rescue mode.  Let the system mount the original
>>>operating system.  Then:
>>>
>>>	# chroot /mnt/sysimage
>>>	# mount -a
>>>	# /sbin/ldconfig -v
>>>	# exit
>>>	# exit
>>>
>>>Pop out the CD and reboot the system.  That oughta do it.
>>>

>>But there is no /sbin/ldconfig
>>That's what it told me when I tried to run it before.
>>

>Did you run the first two commands that Rick mentioned?  The first
>will change root to your FC5 system.  Without this you will be running
>from the rescue disk and not all the commands you need are there.

Oh, okay, I get it.
That is why, of course, when I did pwd in rescue mode, I was in /tmp not
in /, until I cd-ed into it.
I''ve been using Linux, and mostly ONLY linux at home (hate windows.  I
booted this windows
drive for the first time in over a year today...oh yeah, I had an iBook
for a while and used OSX, too)
since, hmmm...RH7.1, but still, I am not expert, by far.
Still have much to learn..  Oddly, for most of the past three years, I
haven''t even hung out on any lists,
because I''ve had no major problems I couldn''t solve myself.
Of course, maybe I should hang out to help others, but I generally
don''t feel very qualified.
I suppose I could assist as a sort of interpreter between the masters
and the newbies, perhaps...
I''ve done that before....Anyway, enough rambling...I''ve go to try this
solution again, the right way....
Thanks

Thanks

Tony