FC4

Alastair McKinley amckinley03 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 19 22:55:35 UTC 2006

> "Alastair McKinley" <amckinley03 googlemail com> wrote:
>

> I just tried to run "yum update" this evening and this happened:
>

> There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
> required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:
>
>   /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cElementTree.so: undefined symbol:
> PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeUTF8
>
> Please install a package which provides this module, or
> verify that the module is installed correctly.
>
> It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
> current version of Python, which is:
> 2.4.1 (#2, May  3 2005, 17:14:18)
> [GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)]
>
> If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
> the yum faq at:
>  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Alastair
>

>    I'm not seeing that on my FC4 box.  I show the following components:
>

> [root bend ~]# rpm -q
> --whatprovides  /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cElementTree.so
> python-elementtree-1.2.6-4
> [root bend ~]# rpm -q --whatprovides `which python`
> python-2.4.3-8.FC4
> [root bend ~]# rpm -q --whatprovides `which yum`
> yum-2.4.1-1.fc4
>
> and everything works as expected:
>
> [root bend ~]# yum update; date
> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> legacy-updates            100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> freshrpms                 100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> livna                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> jpackage-fc               100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> jpackage-generic          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> primary.xml.gz            100% |=========================| 366 kB    00:02
> jpackage-g: ################################################## 1597/1597
> Added 3 new packages, deleted 3 old in 0.98 seconds
> No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion
> Tue Sep 19 15:48:14 MDT 2006
>
> Same result on a FC4 x86_64 box.
>

> Since Python is complaining about some sort of unicode symbol, any  chance
> you have a peculiar language or character set specified?
> Cheers,
> Dave
>
> --
> Politics, n. Strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
> -- Ambrose Bierce

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help.  This is what I've got:

[root at d6173 alastair]# rpm -q --whatprovides
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cElementTree.so
python-elementtree-1.2.6-4
[root at d6173 alastair]# rpm -q --whatprovides `which python`
python-2.4.3-8.FC4
[root at d6173 alastair]# rpm -q --whatprovides `which yum`
yum-2.4.1-1.fc4
[root at d6173 alastair]# yum update
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/cElementTree.so: undefined symbol:
PyUnicodeUCS4_DecodeUTF8

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.4.1 (#2, May  3 2005, 17:14:18)
[GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

I've been using yum with virtually no problems for a year.  As far as I know
(!) I havent changed any settings related to character sets, in fact I dont
even know how to check.
What should I do to check this out?

Is it possible I have a corrupt shared object file?

Thanks again,

Alastair

P.S. Apologies for the stupid subject line, I sent the email before I wrote
anything descritive in there!