how to use external USB DVD writer in FC5

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 02:53:16 UTC 2006

Jim Cornette wrote:

> I have a Lite-On external USB-DVD burner. No extra effort was required
> by me, in order to get the DVD burner to work. I just plugged in the
> device to a USB port.
>
> You may need to add an entry to /etc/fstab which will allow users to
> mount the device using a directory that you assign. Also, there might be
> similar problems that were resolved in bugzilla reports. Your model DVD

Could you point me to the bugzilla reports?

> writer may need an entry added for it to be recognized and working as it
> should with no extra steps, afterwards.
>
> Jim

I could burn data using gnomebaker to the external dvd writer. But I am
not sure who to mount it as a normal user, maybe I need the /etc/fstab
entry. But isn't hal supposed to deal with the automatic mounting of
these kind of removable devices?

thanks,
->HS