fc4->fc5 upgrade

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 03:59:48 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 15:08 -0400, H.S. wrote:
>
>>bruce wrote:
>>
>>>hi...
>>>
>>>looking to jump from fc4->fc5 i've seen different guides from google.. can
>>>someone point me to what they consider to be the 'best guides' for doing a
>>>yum upgrade from fc4->fc5
>>>
>>>thanks
>>>

>>I did the upgrade via yum and  posted my experience on this mailing
>>list. You may want to search the archives. My starting point was:
>>
>>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq
>>
>>Most of the stuff went pretty well. Just make sure you have enough space
>>in /var/ to download the new packages.
>

> Mine blew up. It's still sitting in the corner. It'll boot, after
> stalling for 3-5 minutes complaining about udev like a fussy schoolmarm
> with stern warnings. Got a new machine, installed it fresh from the CD
> and everything (mostly) is peachy. Take your pick. <grins> Ric

Well, I read the wiki I mentioned earlier, was using a kernel as
described there, made sure had plenty of space in /var/cache, did "rpm
--rebuilddb" once, uninstalled the few problem packages, and then did
upgrade via yum and reinstalled the packages I had had to uninstall.
Everything worked out fine and dandy.

I guess depending on user to user, there might be some packages which
may always cause problems. A work around is to uninstall them and
retinstall only those packages later.

I did this on a triple boot machine with Win XP, Debian Etch (my main
work horse) and FC5. No data loss at all. However, I keep backups of my
/home partitions on a second hard disk ... keeping backups is always a
good practice whatever the OS may be.

->HS