SAMBA PROBLEM

Randy Easley REasley at Teleflora.com
Wed Sep 20 20:24:29 UTC 2006

Because all of samba activities are mapped to a specific user - even
those of 'public' or 'guest' are mapped to a posix (Linux in this
instance) account.

You can verify this by doing...

testparm -sv |grep guest

It should point out that even if it isn't configured in smb.conf, by
default 'guest' is mapped to a 'nobody' account which by default isn't
likely to have write access to your print spool directory for samba
which is why access is going to be denied.

I suppose you can either continue to not understand or try the
suggestion that I offered or even better yet, read through the
documentation in the link I provided - the official Samba How To - which
allows you to understand all of this for yourself.

Craig

Thanks for the reply Craig, I have guest = daisy so all logins will be
used as guest.

Processing section homes
Processing section printers
Processing section export
Loaded services file ok
WARNING: passdb expand explicit =yes is depreciated
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE
	Map to guest = Never
	Guest account = daisy
	Guest only = No
	Guest ok = yes

I was under the impression that a public user could print to a printer
if specified by smb.conf ? Is that not accurate?
Smb.conf file [printers]

Comment = All Printers
Path = /var/spool/samba
Browesable = no