fx5200 TVOut problems

Robert Anderson riznob at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 22:21:03 UTC 2006

On 9/21/06, James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping someone here can help. I'm using an nvidia fx5200, with fan
> and DVI and SVideo out. I'm running FC5 with mythtv 0.20.
>
> I'm using this for mtythv and I have this installed:
> # rpm -qa | grep nvidia
> nvidia-graphics-1.0.8774-13.at
> nvidia-graphics8774-libs-1.0_8774-75.fc5.at
> nvidia-graphics-helpers-0.0.14-15.fc5.at
> nvidia-graphics8774-1.0_8774-75.fc5.at
> nvidia-graphics8756-1.0_8756-74.fc5.at
> nvidia-graphics8756-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5-1.0_8756-74.fc5.at
> nvidia-graphics4363-libs-1.0_4363-65.1.rhfc3.at
> nvidia-graphics8774-kmdl-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5-1.0_8774-75.fc5.at
> nvidia-graphics8756-libs-1.0_8756-74.fc5.at
> nvidia-graphics-devices-1.0-5.fc5.at
> # uname -a
> Linux mythtv 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 #1 Tue Aug 8 15:30:55 EDT 2006 i686 athlon
> i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I have several issues.
> 1) The TVOut over SVideo is really washed out, or the brightness is way
> off, something like that. I'm not sure how to adjust it. Using nvidia-
> settings I don't see anything specific to brightness. Hue is set to 0.
> This is not related to mythtv. Before even running mythtv's frontend you
> can see how off the picture is.
>
> 2) The performance of the TVOut is not good. When I watch a recording in
> mythtv, it seems like it drops frames. I tried watching a football games
> over the weekend using LiveTV and it was unwatchable because of how
> jumpy it seemed to be. Same issue.
>
> 3) I'm using overscan to increase the size of the picture so it fits
> better on the screen. For some reason the settings do not stick. I mean
> at some point the over scan will be back to 13 (the default) even though
> I did not modify any settings.
>
> 4) Also related, if I go in and make changes to the config, they are not
> stored in .nvidia-settings.rc like it says it will do. If I remove the
> file and let the config create a new one it always seems to have default
> settings, even if I made changes before hitting quit. According to the
> help text, using Quit is supposed to update the config file.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? Should I try different versions of the
> nvidia drivers/modules? If I connect the DVI-VGA output to the projector
> everything is great. Unfortunately I use the TVOut on a couple other
> TV's so I really need to figure it out.
>
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
> James
> ps- I have posted to mythtv's list but haven't gotten it figured out
> yet.
>
> --

With the s-video brightness problem, have you tried a different s-video
cable? Or try a different s-video source using the same cable? Try to rule
out the possibility that the TV has a defective s-video input also. I have
been using an FX500 for years now with s-video out to a TV for years now and
have had no similar issues with brightness.

For the settings problems, see this...
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#video
Expand the section "For users of nVidia Video Cards". To quote the relevant
part...

The latest driver versions rely on the nvidia-settings utility to set your
overscan with a slider, and you can do so without restarting X. You can also
adjust gamma, contrast, color balance, etc., with the nvidia-settings
utility. All the settings are saved on a per-user basis, and according to
nVidia's docs, should be reactivated at login if you do the following: $
echo "nvidia-settings --load-config-only &" >> ~/.xinitrc
$ echo ". /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc" >> ~/.xinitrc

--
Rob Anderson
riznob at gmail.com