skype problem with sound

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Sep 23 16:53:18 UTC 2006

On Saturday 23 September 2006 11:58, Claude Jones wrote:
>On Fri September 22 2006 11:43 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >I concur. Also the 1.3 beta has a test call option, which
>> > lets you test stuff like mixer settings before you pester a
>> > real person with testing.
>>
>> AFAIK, all earlier versions also had that.  But since it
>> didn't work after oss was deprecated, there was a long period
>> during which skype and linux were mutually exclusive.
>
>Installed the beta version - it's seems to have fixed the
>disconnect at connect problem. However, trying various
>combinations and permutations of your suggested mic settings
>doesn't produce audible audio on the other end of the call. I
>can connect, the other person sees that it's me, I can hear
>them, but, they can't hear me...
>Started playing with alsamixer to see it that would help, but it
>keeps locking up as soon as I select the mic to adjust. In KDE
>sound control, I've got it set to full duplex. I've tried the
>various capture options you suggested, Gene, but no cigar...

And thats sound more like a driver/hardware miss-match to me, Claude.
I think I'd take this to the alsa-user at lists.sf.net list, posting the
appropriate stanza of an lspci -vv output, and an lsmod.   Also the mobo
model & bios revision loaded.  It could also be something that a newer
alsalib might fix.  Those guys, Lee Revel in particular, seem to track
this sort of thing down in good time.  You may have to subscribe to post,
I've forgotten.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)