iptables mac address filtering

Negative negativebinomial at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 03:13:50 UTC 2006

This may be a dumb question but is it possible to use an iptables rule for
mac address filtering to allow vnc access  from a particular machine to one
in the office when I'm traveling. That means I'll be using various kinds of
internet access that I cannot know in advance (dhcp ip's, etc.)  I tried
using the client laptop's macaddress  like this:

I tried iptables -I INPUT 9 -m mac --mac-source macaddr -m state --state
NEW  -p tcp --dport 5901:5906 -j ACCEPT

But it appears that the server is getting a mac address from my ISP rathere
than the originating machine or even my dsl router. If I remove the mac
match,  I connect just fine. And if I use a machine on the same network, I
can use the rule above.

I've got FC4, with kernel 2.6.17-1.2142_FC4.

Tia