network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 23:14:32 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 06:30 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 10:48 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Does anyone recognize this??
> >
> > root at iam etc]# rc.d/init.d/network start
> > Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> > Bringing up interface eth0:  RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
>
> You might want to post your networkworking scripts related to the
> ethernet.

Sorry if I came across like Barney on Andy Griffith. This one little
machine is it here at wayward4now.net. Nothing fancy, just this machine
hooked to a DSL modem, with BellSouth.net and I have a static IP
address.
hostname: iam.wayward4now.net   <---<chuckles at cutesy name>
domainname:   wayward4now.net
static IP:  70.145.234.214
netmask:    255.255.255.0
gateway:    65.14.234.23
search dns: dns.asm.bellsouth.net
primary DNS: 205.152.37.23
secondary  : 205.152.132.23

This stuff is a piece of cake. I can eat therein. But, the whirlygig
network setup thingie keeps adding hostnames  to the localhost line in
hosts. I edit it out, it may come up, it may not. I still haven't found
bind-config and rpm sez I don't have it installed  (that bugzilla
report) When I try to de-activate eth0 more often than not, it won't.

So, I go back into the DSL modem, set it back to not-pasthrough, crank
up DHCP on this end and now I can email. I STILL get DNS lookup failures
though, even with DHCP! WTF? Regularly. I have the NetWork Manager and
NetWork Dispatcher running. Look at this, it's BACK!

[root at iam etc]# more hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost iam.wayward4now.net

Shouldn't there be a 192.168.0.X entry here? Do I add that? I though all
this housekeeping was taken care of, or am I just confused here?

Of Course, I want to get back to static IP land, but I figure I need to
fix this first. Jeeez... I am down again, this email might make it out
though... gonna hit the send button. If someone else has no life, call
me at 336-333-9311

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256