Advice managing home directories

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 25 08:18:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 01:53 -0400, anthony baldwin wrote:
> This seems vaguely related to something I´m trying to do.
> I´ve just (finally) successfully installed a dual-boot configuration
> with both Kubuntu and Fedora Care 5 on a 15gb hdd on my machine.  I
> have a 200gb drive that I told the FC5 install to call /home...Now I
> see the error in that.
> I am going to mount a /home for the FC install on the same 15gb drive,
> because I can see that both installs need their own /home (I wanted
> them to share the 200gb hdd for home, but they don´t want to share
> a /home).

Sharing the /home between two distros can be trouble.  You might have
different versions of the same packages that use different configuration
settings.

However, making a common data repository, that's shared between any OS
is another matter.  e.g. For your work files, music, whatever...  You
can mount that where ever you like, and run a link to it from your
homespace.

e.g. You mount your data drive as /data.  You have sub-folders for each
user (/data/tim, /data/fred/, /data/tony/, etc.).  Now, in the home
space for each user, on each OS, you just issue a make link command to
the right directory, then it acts as if it's within your homespace.

e.g. cd /home/tim
     ln -s /data/tim data

     cd /home/tony
     ln -s /data/tony data

Now, in each of those user's spaces, it looks like they've got a "data"
directory.

I do a similar thing, but across the network.  I've got a central server
holding our data files, that can be accessed from any PC, here.

I read messages from the public lists.