network has gone down again, and I cannot figure out why

Mike Wright xktnniuymlla at mailinator.com
Mon Sep 25 16:34:08 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:
> I have a static IP, and with the DSL modem set to "pass through" mode,
> my linux "crate" is doing everything... and blowing up. Been working
> rock solid, went through the update, a report is made about something
> missing and I go into scattered chickens mode becauce weird stuff is
> happening, like the domainname being added as an alias to localhost
> minutes after I fix it.

I did lookup on your hostname and got an IP but a reverse lookup on that
IP gives adsl-070-145-234-214.sip.int.bellsouth.net.  I wonder if the
problem arises because the forward and reverses conflict, and perhaps
one of the configuration programs is "fixing" it for you?

It's brute force but you could try "chattr" to make your hosts file
immutable.

$0.02,
Mike Wright