Re: [Fedora] setting the kernel default

atomi wrote:
Do I have to do anything so that the server from now on always reboots using the old kernel-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 ?
You can tell grub which kernel to boot automatically. By default it will boot the first one in grub.conf, however you can change that with the 'default=0' line in grub.conf. Remember that 0 is the first kernel listed, 1 is the second, etc., etc.

How do I verify what kernel is in use now ?
   uname -r

Is it possible to remove and prevent kernel-2.6.17-1.2187_FC5 or newer kernels from automatically installing during a yum update?
You can remove the kernel yes, however I'm not sure about it not getting reinstalled again at the next update.

Also, How would I go about troubleshooting the panic ?
I'll leave this to the experts to hash out. Though posting your panic OOPS would be a start.