strange tone in recored sound

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Sep 29 16:15:00 UTC 2006

Faust Nijhuis wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 19:42 +0200, Faust Nijhuis wrote:
>>

>>> I have a problem with recording sound. It makes no difference  how it
>>> is recorded, mythtv or just a microphone.  When i  play the recorded
>>> sound it sounds like a bad radio from 40 years ago. And there is
>>> irritating tone in it.
>>>

>> That could be your hardware, some sound hardware is awful.  But you
>> haven't told us what you have (including the motherboard model might be
>> worthwhile, as well), nor provided a sound sample.
>>

> The problem cannot be the hardware because before this problem it did
> function well
> for 2 years. And under knoppix (live dvd) the record sound is still good.
>
> Is it allowed to attach a sound sample?
>
>> Does it play other-recorded sounds fine?
>>

> No, all recorded sounds are bad.
>
> Faust

No hardware is stable.  If the system worked in the past is no
indication that it is still fine.  Things break down over time.  A
capacitor failing could cause the problems you indicate.

How is the sound if you play a CD?  Do you have the same noises?

Do you have any noises when just turning the volume up with no signal?

Try making a recording using the mic input with no mic attached.

As for attached files.  They don't get through the filters.  You would
have to use personal email to someone.  I will take a listen.

--
Robin Laing