Checking internet connection without a winbox

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Sep 30 10:27:11 UTC 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 11:40, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 26/09/06, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 18:32:04 +0800,
> >
> > I would suggest staying away from combined routers and modems.
> > I would prefer to not have the ISP have control over routing on my local
> > network. With your own router, you can filter traffic going to the modem
> > so that you don't leak stuff that you don't want to.
> > This also makes testing easier in the case where there are problems as
> > you can pull the router and test the modem without any acls getting in
> > the way. This can make diagnosing whose equipment is at fault simpler.
>
> That is exactly what I'm trying to do! I suspect that my router is
> faulty, and I want to diagnos it. That is why I must eliminate the
> router and connect just by using the modem. How on earth can I do that
> on Fedora? Where do I enter my ISP username and password? The ISP only
> provids instructions on how to do that in Windows.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://what-is-what.com

Hi Dotan. I'm on dialup through a serial modem, but I understand that you need
to setup pppoE for ADSL connections.

Have a look at the man page for it (man pppoe), and also (man 8 adsl-setup)
which appears to be a script that asks you for info.

This is the link to the pppoe website.
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_rp-pppoe.php

I havn't run the script, so don't know what it asks, and don't want to risk
messing up my connection.

Nigel.