Removing LVM

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 6 19:48:23 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 13:25 +0100, Mark Fraser wrote:
> I'm having a few problems that I hope you'll be able to help me with. First
> I'll explain what I'm trying to do.
>
> I have 2 drives in my computer an 80GB and a 200GB. At the moment
> everything is on the smaller drive which is using LVM. What I want to do is
> to have /home on the larger drive and to remove LVM and repartition the
> smaller one so that I can try out other distros and to put F7 on when it
> comes out.
>
> At my local Linux user group we tried to do a backup of the small drive to
> the larger one in a tar so that I could then repartition the drive. This
> failed because it tried to backup /sys, /proc and other folders that
> couldn't be backed up. I have tried umounting /proc, but get told that
> Couldn't umount /proc Inappropriate ioctl for device.
>
> So, my questions:
> 1) how can I backup all my data to the larger drive
> 2) remove LVM

If you research the archives for this list, I did a similar thing just a
few months ago.  One of the kind folks here provided all the information
and it went smoothly.  If you do not remove LVM, but instead create a
new LVM for the large drive, then you can use LVM on the smaller drive
to set it up (I think, remember I am somewhat of a noobie here).  But if
you research the archive I think you will find what you need.
Unfortunately I didn't save the thread, so I can't point you straight to
it.

Regards,
Les H